Valedictorian Speech




Thank you. Dear graduates, family, and friends,



I would like to welcome you all to the 2018 Kossuth High School Commencement Ceremony. I am Katherine Elizabeth Newcomb, valedictorian for the 2018 graduating class, better known as Katie Beth. Many of you probably did not expect me to be the student speaking today, considering all the blonde jokes I have grown used to and I’m sorry if you lost that bet. 

I would like this address to be very original and fairly brief. I know you do not want to endure an extensive, cliché speech. Follow your dreams, shoot for the stars, you can achieve anything you set your mind to, blah blah blah. Those types of speeches are heard time and time again. I, however, have chosen something that touches me personally: regarding our high school years, right now, and our futures, I would like to talk about the bittersweet truth of graduation.



During the past four years we did not realize we were making memories; we just thought we were happily surviving. Flash back to 2014 when we were just freshman, without a clue and with a full schedule of the basic classes every high schooler is required to take. 

Driving to Walnut and back in Driver’s Ed while Coach Lyles napped, studying for both the biology and algebra state tests, and trying to fit in with upper classmen were our main struggles. That year was gone in a blink of an eye due to all the hard work trying to earn a spot in sports teams or clubs. Then advancing to sophomore year, we thought we had this high school thing figured out. Finally getting our license along with anything that had wheels, reinforced our know-it-all attitude. We started discovering ourselves, mostly by the mistakes we made and learning the hard way. 

One of the tough lessons I learned that year was to double check the rearview mirrors before backing out the driveway extremely fast. In reality, all we knew was Ms. Trimble’s five and five model for writing essays and what our “Good Thing” was for each day. Then, Hallelujah! We made it to junior year, characterized by the exciting freedom of leaving early and starting first real jobs. It was another year of stadium lights in the fall. 

It was another year of cold winter nights in the basketball gym. And yet another year of reviving spring days at the baseball field. Then came the anticipated prom night, that we actually got to attend as a class. After finishing Coach Byrd’s ten-foot U.S. History timeline, junior year came to a close. We attended graduation, trying to imagine ourselves as graduates, but it still felt so far away. The summer came and started the senior portrait sessions. 

Then it was finally our turn: our last first day of high school, our last time to dig our cleats into the field, our last band or dance competition, our last time to buy a parking pass, last homecoming, last prom, and the list goes on.



While senior year was full of lasts, I made it a point to make the most of the present. I had to remind myself to live in the moment and enjoy some of the high school times that I wouldn’t be able to get back. 

Senior year proved that all the hard work in previous years was beginning to pay off, or at least could be used to mention on a scholarship application. I realized that if you are constantly awaiting things of the future, or obsessed on things of the past, you miss out on the great things happening right now. Graduation is a perfect example. 

Do not dwell on the fact high school is over, and do not fret about college and a future career. Celebrate today and all the accomplishments you have made. Love the wonderful aspects of this day before life changes and you are in a completely different place. Sometimes you never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.



While enjoying the moment, you must also cast an eye to the future. You don’t have to see the whole stair case, you just have to take the first step. Sadly enough, there’s no elevator to success. You must take the stairs. The reality of your future solely depends on you. Whatever you consider true success, I believe it can be found with intelligence, hard work, and discipline. 

If you are a genius but do not have any perseverance and do not establish some type of plan or self-discipline, then knowledge is wasted. If you have the grit it takes to work hard but fail to continue learning and do not see room for growth, your work ethic is useless. It is easy to feel a sense of motivation to set big goals on days like today. 

The people who actually reach their goals and keep the motivation are the ones who push through the hard days. This reminds me of the verse quoted in my scholarship applications this entire year “Do you not realize, that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way to get the prize” (1 Corinthians 9:24 NIV). There will be times it seems impossible. There will be times that it would be much easier to throw in the towel. Remember that at the end of the day you are living with your decisions.

Success can be defined differently by every individual. During spring break I was in a souvenir shop at the beach and saw a sign that really put this whole senior thing into perspective. It read: “When I was five years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy”. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -John Lennon



Graduation is a rite of passage that brings many facts to light, such as: the fact that high school is our past, and we must learn from it. The fact the future is ahead, and we must prepare for it. The present is here, and we must live it.



Lastly, I would like to show my deepest appreciation for every single person along the way who has helped me through these years. I want to especially thank my hard-working parents for pushing me and holding me at the highest standard of “only my best” and also for providing me with all the things I need and beyond to excel. I want to acknowledge my friends, the ones who made these years so entertaining, but especially the ones who kept me out of trouble. Also, I want to recognize every single teacher and staff member at Kossuth who has contributed their time and energy to my education. One day in my future career, I hope to return the favor.



Thank you and God bless.




















Comments