Glimpse of Being a Mom


The "simple"job of babysitting everyday for the last two months has taught me more about myself, kids, and my future more than I would have imagined...






My patience has been tested, I have finished some days feeling sooo drained, but I have also been loved and felt so much love for a child. I would like to express the lessons I have learned from keeping an 18 month-old little rascal of a boy.




1. With kids, nothing is simple.

Well that's probably obvious you say, but a lot of people never put this into consideration before having kids.

- You can't simply run to Walmart for some milk.
Because that would require getting the child dressed and ready, with all their stuff (sippie cup, toy, diaper bag), fighting to get them buckled in a carseat and keeping them from running away in the store. And keeping them from crying in the store or constantly saying "bye-bye"

- You can't simply go out to eat for a burger.
Because you're trying to keep a toddler sitting in a highchair and entertained until the food gets to the table and until everyone gets finished eating. They end up reaching for you so they can stand up beside you in the booth and get food on your shoulder.

And on a particular day that we went to eat, the rain was beating down. When we got into the restaurant and were walking to the table, a man comes up to me holding a small rain-boot and asked if we lost a boot. And of course he did, but I didn't even realize it!

- You can't simply chill and watch T.V.
An attention span of a toddler can only last for one episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, MAX! 


2. Kids are a full time job.

Anyone that tries to argue this then they have never had or babysat small children. They require lots of attention. period. 


3.  It's not about you!!

With kids, you forget about yourself. 
-Most days I barely have makeup on and my hair is in a ponytail with leggings and a sweatshirt. 
-Most days I am cramming my mouth with random finger foods to keep myself full before I have to make food for him.
-Most days I don't have time or energy to study while I babysit, because the minute he's busy playing or asleep I just want to chill.


4. Sometimes you just have to relax.

It is SO easy to be over controlling with children. No. You can't play with that. No. You can't eat all that candy. No. You are NOT taking your socks off.

I've realized that if they are not possibly harming themselves, you need to sometimes just relax and let them be kids. You may have to clean up a million messes. You may have to put them in the bath because they're covered in food from head to toe. 

But that's ok!! Overbearing attitudes cause more anxiety for the child and more stress for you.

For example, one day he constantly was getting into our big bathtub and trying to turn the water on. I just quit fighting it and turned the water completely on, stripped him down, and let him play. He loved it and played in the bath for 30 min!


5. PATIENCE is key.

You are going to get so frustrated and so exhausted. You have to recollected yourself and calm down to handle things like a proper caretaker or parent should. 

You must remember they are so little and just can't comprehend what you can. They are going to disobey so you must be patient with them in teaching them what's right.


6. Consistency/schedules make a difference.

Children will behave better and be happier if they have a consistent schedule. As of right now, we always take a morning nap from about 9-10 am and then afternoon from 1:30-3ish. It will be hard some days to be consistent because life is unpredictable and so are children, but try your best.


7. When a child loves you, you feel so connected.

The little boy I keep is clingy to me. He loves to take naps with me right beside him. He yells for me when I'm not in the room. He plays with my hair and rubs my arm. The connection is soooo sweet.




Babysitting everyday has taught me so much! I know I will be a better mom because of it. But I also have realized that I do not want the responsibility of children until I get my career and life figured out first. I know if I love someone else's kids so much then I can't imagine the love I'll have one day for my own.




















Comments