How to Prayer Journal

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7 | NIV |

Many feel necessary to write their prayers down in what is called a prayer journal. And many others wouldn’t have to clue how to. I didn’t start this because I necessarily wanted to have a prayer journal; I just started jotting things down that I wanted to speak to God about and so began my prayer journal. I realized how effective it was and how much I valued this notepad that entailed my testimony and how I grew closer to God.
   So if you’re clueless on how to start a prayer journal or just curious about them, I will explain. There's no specific way to write; It's your journal! This is just how I write in mine. I use a fairly small, notepad that flips open to the top to write my prayers in. This is the order that I usually write things down.



  • Title it- Prayers (&date)
  • List the things I want to thank God for blessing me with
  • List the things that I am burdened by
  • List certain people I want to pray for
  • Write a verse at the bottom to connect my overall thoughts in my prayer to the Bible




How is this so beneficial to me??

1. Like I mentioned above, using a prayer journal has brought me closer to God. The follow reasons will also explain how it has strengthened my relationship. Praying to the Father in a sincere, powerful, and respectful manner makes praying much more personal. It feels like you're talking with your actual father, telling him each and every thing that is bothering you along with each and every joy in life. This type of communication strengthens the relationship tremendously!


2. The second reason this helps me in prayer is to stay on topic. Others may not struggle with this as much as I do. But writing key points keeps my mind from drifting to unimportant things when talking to the Lord. I can glance at my list to stay on each point I would like to make to the Lord.


3. This also helps me remember everything that I want to pray for. Because often we lay down and say a quick prayer forgeting all the details that we would like to express.


4. Linking the Bible verse at the end of the paper keeps everything in perspective and also helps you lean on the Bible as well as your prayer in times of sorrow/despair/happiness/etc.


5. By documenting these things that you pray for, you can go back and read them. I recently went back and read my prayers of what was bothering me last year.


6. Going along with the reason 5, this helps show you how far you’ve come as a Christian and how God worked everything out. When I read what was troubling me last year I came to acknowledge how God uses his timing to intercede in every detail of my life. The things I was so stressed out about a year ago in my prayer journal, he made better in his time, in his way. And seeing this helps me to be faithful each day and in the future because I know he will work everything out just like he has done. He is the potter. I am the clay.


Comments