Life Event That Changed Me...



     
     
   “There’s got to be something more!” This thought runs through my mind as a I am trying to find a prescription for someone who is out of refills, checking someone out through the cash register which is frozen and not working, and hoping to impress my boss when he comes to work for just five minutes of his total day. Starting in February of 2017 of my junior year, I accepted a job at my hometown pharmacy. 

     It is personally owned and operated with more customers than any other pharmacy in the state. I never thought this part-time, minimum wage paying job would make such an impact on my life. This job consists of much more than being a clerk and checking out customers’ medications. Clerks must answer the phone to note the prescriptions needing refilled and take them to turn in to the technicians. 

Clerks catch the medication that is tossed over the counter from pharmacists and call the name of the patient. If the patient is present we proceed to check him or her out. If the patient is not there, we scan the barcode, scan a bag, place it in the bag, scan the spot to hang it, and hang it on a sliding shelf. Inside the pharmacy is also a gift shop that we help consumers with shopping and wrapping presents for them. 

     There are much more technical details that I have to remember when working. I did come accustomed to all the systems and rules quite quickly compared to most, but outside working the actual job, I have experienced countless life lessons. Days when I become so drained dealing with pitiful people addicted to drugs or elderly that are barely making it to town are the days I discover the most about myself. 

    I have learned to persevere through situations, showing kindness to everyone. No matter how unclean, no matter how unintelligent, no matter how old or young I am expected to show them service with respect. This is the grit I believe is needed in every field or career. It helped me realized that not every coworker, boss, or customer/patient is going to be the friendliest person, but it’s my reactions that define who I am. 

        Along with that aspect, I have also seen the gaps in health care and what is needed as our generations age. I have learned significant information from the pharmacists who have received pharmaceutical degrees from the University of Mississippi, where I plan to study. 
  
Although I do not plan on pursuing pharmacy, working with them has shown me their side of health care, and I realize their vital role to patients. Working this job has revealed to me what I hope for in a future career. I have developed personal relationships with many of the customers while doing my best to assist them with receiving the care they need. Working at the pharmacy has opened my eyes to salaries and just how fast money is spent. 

   This job has motivated me to get the best degree possible, so I can make a higher dollar to support myself and future family without such hard work. Yes, this is a great job and I do not look down upon the older clerks who work there. They are actually some of the sweetest, most humble people I know. But as for my future, I know there is way much more out there and this job has pushed me to search for my true passion and to never discontinue educating myself.





Comments