Sunday Really Funday?

Unless you live under a rock, you've probably heard of the phrase "Sunday Funday". I would like to express my humble opinion on this well-known phrase I see printed on soooo many t-shirts and notebooks.
Today's society views Sunday as just another day of the week, as just one of the fun days of the weekend. They view Sunday as an extra day at the lake with friends, having Super Bowl parties, and working in the yard. I see this phrase all the time and I am subconsciously offended. Here's why:

     

1. Sunday is a holy day.
     In verse 8 we see the Lord reminding us that the Sabbath, or Sunday, is a holy day that we should remember. Partying and doing however we please (funday) is not a way of keeping this day holy.

2. It's also not a work day.
    In my grandparents generation, restaurants were never open on Sundays. No one mowed their yard. It was simply a day for rest and worship.

3. The Lord set this day in place when he made this world.
      God designed the entire world and everything on it in six days. He rested on the seventh, which serves as a model for Christians to follow.

4. A good Sunday = a good week.
     In my final and overall reason, I believe that if we start our week off in the right direction we will have a better week. I have experienced this myself firsthand. I, being a sinner, have in the past chosen to go and do my own little thing on Sunday, whether it be with friends or just skipping church. This has shown me that starting my week that way simply does not set the best tone for the following days. God has shown me how going to church in order to worship and reset my mind on what matters most really keeps my week in focus and helps with my struggles.

Therefore, I think it should be "Sundays, laze and praise!"

Just a Splash of Class and Sass thought for the next time you see Sunday Funday!

Comments